Thursday, January 17, 2008

 

Windows Vista and the Hawking HNAS1

I have a Hawking HNAS1 with Vista Home Premium and could not map a drive to it from Vista to save my life. The Hawking Technology web site doesn't mention any support for Vista. I figured that the HNAS1 used Samba under the hood, so I googled for hints on Samba and Vista. I found some instructions for running secpol.msc to change the LanMan authentication level, but Vista Home Premium doesn't have secpol.msc. Rather than finding a computer with secpol.msc installed and using a registry sniffer to see what it was doing, I keep on googling until I found the link above with this gem:

If you're running a version of Vista that cannot use secpol.msc, you can edit the registry instead. Just change the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel from a 3 to a 1.

I ran regedit, made the changes, rebooted, and could then map the drive using the net use command. My only issues are that net view \\myserver still gives a "System error 1728 has occurred. A remote procedure call (RPC) protocol error occurred" error. And of course, since Vista is made by Microsoft, the /persistent:yes flag for net use doesn't save the password, so I have to type the password again after I reboot. But at least I can map drives to network shares!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?